Celebrating National Dog Day
It’s National Dog Day (NDD) and we are celebrating all the pups out there that put a smile on our face and a skip in our heart! Dogs can play such an important part of our lives, from the cuddly family pup to life-saving service dogs. Here are ten ways to observe NDD and take some time to honor your furry friend.
Celebration Ideas: If you’re like me, you really don’t need a specific day to spoil your dog rotten. But if you do, National Dog Day is the day! Here are some fun ideas:
New Feeding Gear: Searching for a gift for both you and Rover? How about a dog bowl that suctions to the floor? Ono, ezpz’s sister brand, makes Pet Bowls that are a game changer for messy mealtime and sloppy doggy drinkers. The all-in-one mats + bowls come in chic colors that blend beautifully with your home décor.
- Doggie Dress Up: Are you a dog owner that likes to dress up your dog(s)? Me too! Today is the day to snag that doggie tutu or early Halloween costume for your pooch.
- Environmental Switch: Use this day to make dog ownership more environmentally responsible by making the switch to biodegradable poop bags. Buy them in bulk with a tiny dispenser that connects to your leash so you are never without a bag. This easy switch will save our planet one poop at a time!
Puppy Popsicle: I like to make treats for my two fur babies, and one of their favorites is a cold snack after a long hike. I pour chicken, beef or veggie broth into an ice cube tray and pop a few cubes into the Ono Bowl for a yummy frozen treat. Give my puppy popsicle recipe a try on this special day!
- Gift Gear: My almost 18-year-old Blue Heeler (Abby) is nearing the rainbow bridge, and my husband made me a coffee mug of her and I together (insert tear). These personalized gifts are a wonderful way to celebrate your fur family.
- Dog Park: Explore a new dog park together! More and more off-leash dog parks are popping up, so if you have a friendly pup that likes to run and play this is a great way to tire them out.
- Toys: Does you dog like tennis balls, Frisbees or tug-of-war toys? Get them a new toy as a celebratory present. You are sure to receive a “wiggle butt” as a thank you!
- Treats + Tricks: We recently taught our other Blue Heeler (Rocky) how to do a high five, and it’s the cutest trick ever! Try teaching your dog a new trick today and be sure to offer them a special treat for encouragement.
- Tags + Collar: Today is a good day to check on your dog’s tags or collar. See if their tag is rusted, old or unreadable. Or maybe there has been a change in your dog’s medical status that needs to be added to the collar and/or tag. I recently bought a collar that says “Blind Dog” to help remind friends and family that my pup has lost her vision.
- Donate: Consider making a donation to your favorite pet rescue in your dog’s name. Or, donate your time by volunteering at a rescue. Every year I volunteer at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary and it’s such a rewarding experience (plus you get paid in wet doggy smooches!).
We hope that your National Dog Day celebration is pawfect! For more information about Ono be sure to download our FREE printable for sizing and colors! #onofriends #nationaldogday
Dawn Winkelmann (M.S, CCC-SLP) is ezpz’s Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist and Feeding Specialist. She has 26 years of experience teaching parents and medical professionals how to start babies on solids safely and encourage toddlers to overcome picky eating. In addition, “Ms. Dawn” is the designer of our award-winning Tiny Cup & Tiny Spoon (for infants) and the Mini Cup + Straw Training System & Mini Utensils (for toddlers).